16 October 2010

Thank You Note to an Ally

In this week's Washington Posts, ON FAITH, Dr. Valerie Elverton Dixon, Founder of Just Peace Theory . com writes this insightfully moving Ally Affirmation of Queer personhood. 

God's overflowing love and the heterosexual obligation

http://onfaith.washingtonpost.com/onfaith/panelists/valerie_elverton_dixon/2010/10/gods_overflowing_love_and_the_heterosexual_obligation.html




When receiving gifts, Mama told me to write thank you notes. And so...


Valerie, I receive your offering. My gratitude is reflective from both personal and political discourse -- if even there would be a demarcation.

Thank you for being ally; however, I refer to you as sister. Anyone who clearly advocates for my being for the sake of wholeness of the human community is more than friend -- I call you sister.

I call you sister because our sameness is with each breath and monthliness. 

I call you sister because grits and beans are our comfort foods.

I call you sister because you accept me vertically and verbose; and respect me when I am horizontally reposed with my lover.

I call you sister because in this street fight you hold my earrings and vaseline but dont mind losing yours when fighting alone gets the best of me.

I call you sister because you call on our common Ally in Creator and Christ, Jesus and Justice, Holy Work of Holy Spirit.

I call you sister because we came out the Womb giggling and holding hands; and now facing the Tomb giving so much and holding each other.

I call you sister for not being afraid -- not of me, but of yourself and your sexuality. 

I call you sister for understanding that you need me as much as I need you. 

I call you sister for believing for me and calling others to believe likewise on my behalf that when God created me/Me God still says, "She's good."

In Womanlove and Peace from the inside out...
Raedorah

No comments:

Post a Comment