22 February 2012

Lent 2012 : Forget My Mouth, Create in Me a Clean Heart!

For this next 40 days -- Wednesday, February 22nd through Thursday, April 5th -- I am going to...
  • eat chocolate
  • swear at bad drivers
  • taste a different microbrew every week
  • drink tea daily and coffee if the bus is late
  • eat Monday night $1 ribs at the sports bar

Because, “It is not what goes into the mouth that makes a person unclean. It is what comes out of the mouth that makes a person unclean." Matthew 15:11

Therefore, during Lent this year, I am excited to...
  • Practice the prayer discipline of fasting and serving at a homeless shelter on Thursdays ["Is this not the fast that I have chosen:  ...to share your bread with the hungry...?" Isaiah 58:5-7]
  • Donate to The Prom Dress Project vs sell on eBay my two new purple evening gowns that ended up being way to large for me by the time I lost weight and my formal event came around [“...This woman was abounding with deeds of kindness and charity, which she continually did.” Acts 9:36]
  • Explain why I am not participating in political vitriol -- my lips are moving even when you don’t hear a sound [Your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.” Matthew 6:10]
  • Demand that past trauma shuts up, forgiveness speaks up, and live in my authentic loving self in my most intimate relationship [“Forgive us our trespasses as we give up resentment against those who trespassed against us.” Matthew 6:12]
  • Hand write encouragement notes to pastors and ministers (email your mailing address) serving congregations in this season [So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith.” Galatians 6:10]

Oh Lord of Lent, I pray the words of the Psalmist David recorded in 51:10:  "Create in me a clean heart, and renew a right, persevering, and steadfast spirit within me." and psalter this prayer as does the Psalmist Donnie here --


"Are you capable of risking your life for someone? Do it for Christ."
- Pope John Paul II, Lent Quote

7 comments:

  1. I NEEDED THIS!!!!!
    THANK YOU!!!!!!
    IF I COULD ROLL BY YOUR HOUSE WITH A BIG NEON SIGN OF APPRECIATION, I WOULD. I DID GIVE UP PORK, BUT NOW I AM NOT GIVING UP FRIED CHICKEN. HOWEVER, I AM GOING TO ATTEMPT TO DO LIKEWISE ON THE FASTING AND SERVING.
    LOVE YOU!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am blessed that you are blessed! I will keep in touch about the serving! Grateful that you love me back!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Thank You! This is absolutely....WOW....speechless

      Delete
  2. This is the fast I need. I am pressing in these next 40 days for a renewed spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen, Rev. Raedorah. I appreciate the ways that you serve and speak life into the earth. I know this will be a powerful blog. Amen and Ashe. #speakinglife

    ReplyDelete
  4. For the next 40 days....

    Create in me a clean heart
    and purify me
    Create in me a clean heart
    so I may worship thee

    Cast me not away from thy presence
    Please don't take your Spirit from me
    and restore the joy of salvation
    so that I may worship thee

    Please Lord God....
    Amen

    ReplyDelete