25 February 2013

Lent -- God is in Massage

“If you then, imperfect as you are, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in Heaven give good things to those who ask Him!” Matthew 7:11


Today I went got a massage from a chain salon where I purchased membership last Summer. What I committed to was a monthly massage and other perks at a discount to enhance the experience, aromatherapy, and to share a guest discount pass.

In this season of Lent where emphasis is put on our giving up so much, I call us to give in to God’s will for our body, mind and spirit.  Getting these monthly massages feel good, are sometimes painful, are exceptionally relaxing, and clears my chakras / releases endorphins / regulates my attitude.

Nine months into this commitment to self-care I took the time for the first time to add aromatherapy to my massage session. Access to this more full experience had always been available to me, yet, until this month I had not taken advantage of it. Why? Because even though I knew it was available, I balked at indulging in this experience as if doing so was reserved for other patrons but not me.  I somehow convinced myself that I was not worthy to receive this decadent pleasure which was equally, fully, and totally available for me the past nine months.

And so this Lent, I confess how often I talk myself out of receiving God’s abundant life for me. It has been mine since the womb, yet, I am only now opening myself up to God’s gift of self-care, abundantly. Besides, what good is a gift unopened? I am sure that insults the giver.

Repenting, I look forward to the aromatherapy add-on; and to sharing the guest pass for a massage for someone who needs it.  Receiving God’s gifts allows for sharing God’s gifts, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment