19 February 2015

1Lent2015 "Clean Heart, Dirty Hands"


“No act of virtue can be great if it is not followed by advantage for others. So, no matter how much time you spend fasting, no matter how much you sleep on a hard floor and eat ashes and sigh continually, if you do no good to others, you do nothing great.”  

--John Chrysostom

Lent unctions me to pray the 'create in me a clean heart, oh God, and renew a right spirit within me' psalm (51:10) and song.  Quoting Chrysostom chastises me from pursuing spiritual disciplines in which I alone might boast; and calls me to serve others who have neither inclination nor capacity to reciprocate.  I pray for a clean heart that gives new life to creative hands for the good of others and the glory of God. 


Lord, hear my Lenten plea-- this whisper, may it resound as worship. 




###

No comments:

Post a Comment