28 December 2015

Kwanzaa Day 3: UJIMA / COLLECTIVE WORK AND RESPONSIBILITY

From the Nguzo Saba, day three of Kwanzaa celebrates
UJIMA / COLLECTIVE WORK AND RESPONSIBILITY

to build and maintain our community together and make our brother's
and sister's problems our problems and to solve them together.

HABARI GANI?
I have over 1,000 problems and there are still three days left in this year. 
KilledByPolice.net chronicles the names, ages, genders, race, states, and news coverage of persons killed by police since 2012.  So far in 2015, American police have killed 1190 people.  At last count by The Guardian, over 1,000 of these were Black / African American. So far. There are still three days left in this year. 
Although my son is alive today, there is no guarantee that he will be tomorrow-- if the police has a hand in it. And I sit here writing out my grief today, while there is no guarantee that if I open my door to a strong knock it might end in my execution just across the threshold to my home-- if the police has a hand in it. So today I write about my problems, all 1190 of those names, outnumbered by police who use their badge and bullets as judge, jury, and executioner against black men, women, and children. Because they can; and they can get away with it. I have over 1,000 problems in graves and only as many more as are black people living-- as long as the police use us for target practice and live trophies. 
My problem is that my sons were murdered by the police (and white men with law enforcement affiliations and white men just for sport):  Tamir Rice,  Michael Brown, John Crawford III, Eric Garner, Levar Jones, Trayvon Martin, Mike Davis, Oscar Grant, Walter Scott, Sean Bell, Amadou Diallo...
My problem is that my daughters were murdered by the police (ditto above reference): Sandra Bland, Natasha McKenna, Tanisha Anderson, Yvette Smith, Miriam Carey, Shelly Frey, Rekia Boyd,  Aiyanna Stanley-Jones...
My problem is that my natural born son lives in Boston, one of the cities in America in which police have ONLY killed Black people this year.  And there are still three days left in 2015. 
I pray my prayers work salvation. 
I give my signature for justice. 
I bring water to youthful protesters stopping traffic. 
I plead with Black people to re-value our own lives.
I hope white people repent; or at least revolt alongside me.

Please, for there are three days left in this year. 



Adinkra : symbol of shared
effort and obligation.

No comments:

Post a Comment