31 December 2015

KWANZAA DAY 7 : IMANI / FAITH

From the Nguzo Saba, day seven of Kwanzaa celebrates

IMANI / FAITH
to believe with all our heart in our people, our parents, our teachers, 
our leaders. and the righteousness and victory of our struggle.

HABARI GANI?





I believe with all my heart in:

Black people-- which is everyone, not just us with melanin enriched dermis, but especially skin Black people-- to turn the tide of hate towards us as we more fiercely and intentionally love ourselves and one another. Don't believe the hype.  Create our own narratives of Black love, affirmation, and joy. 

The Ankh : life, stability,
endurance and power
My Mother-- for being living faith. Before I was educated in biblical language and could articulate my theology of the Imago Dei, I knew that Mama was God! Sure, I have called her other names, including: Stone Cold Fox of the 60's, Ride or Die Girl, Granny on Fleek, and Queen Mother; however, being raised watching her do "what is good, and what the Lord requires: to do justly, to love mercy, to be humble, to walk with God" (Micah 6:8) continues to inform and transform me. I thank God for her 76 years of life and my 55 years of being a part of her heart. And also,Church mothers, Mother HawkinsMother Tramble, and JoyBell Ray for adopting me into family systems of love even though they both lost daughters to death who were my peers.  

My teachers-- from 1st grade, Mrs. Hall for making me feel smart and creative; from middle and high school, Mr. Turner for recognizing me as Lady Rae, femme lesbian, brilliant orator, skilled seamstress, and afraid of very little. He always looked upon me as I imagined a proud father would. Audre Lorde for teaching me to demand to be called the name/s I answer too; and to ignore all others. Like her, I love that I look different in all of my pictures/selfies. Dr. Katie G. Canon, from whom I learned that real womanists are confident enough to lecture, love, and do the Wobble in public. Sharon Bridgforth, for freeing my poetry to appear on the page like I perform it in public. Church mothers, Mother Hawkins and Mother Tramble, for adopting me into family systems of love even though they both lost daughters younger than me. 

Our leaders-- namely, President Barack H. Obama, for choosing to be a public target for the good of humanity.  As a global leader he is respected. As a national leader he is the pride of many.  As a husband and father, I get the feeling Lady Michelle and the girls are not putting on a front. Thank you, Mr. President. When your vacation starts, know that you have well earned it!

the Bye Nyame : No one but God.
(also, my next tattoo)
The righteousness and victory of our struggle-- #BlackLivesMatter #BlackGirlsRock #BringBackOurGirls #LetGirlsLearn #ColorofChange #JayyDodd and everywhere grassroots activism takes roots.   

With God, in whom I have all faith, I have faith in humanity to become more like you, one breath at a time. In you, O God, we live and move and have our being. Remind us, Holy Spirit, remind us, over and over again. 

Ashe.
And so it is. 
Amen. 


.

No comments:

Post a Comment